Sunday, September 28, 2008

I'm smiling

This week, I had an experience that drove home to me the reason I love doing Community Acupuncture. I had a patient come in early in the week who complained of being absolutely exhausted and dizzy after getting over an intestinal flu. I treated him and explained that he would receive the most benefit if he could come in for several treatments during the week. I saw him three times in five days, and after the last treatment, he emailed me to let me know he felt better than he had in weeks.

Why is this special to Community Acupuncture?
If I ran a normal private practice, and told him he needed to come in three times in one week, at $50 to $100 per visit (these are the average rates in our fair City -- many practitioners charge even more!), he probably would have been unable to do so due to the financial burden. With our sliding scale, he was able to come in as much as needed, and ended up feeling much better in a very short amount of time -- at a total cost less than a single private treatment!

This is what community acupuncture is about. Providing a realistic opportunity to receive proper health care.
My job makes me smile.

No comments: